Sunday 18 April 2010

A slow and simple Sunday...


I ordered this book from Amazon last week. I loved the idea and it had some good reviews, so I thought, why not?

Well, I have been inspired. The whole book is about enjoying the simple things in life without spending loads of money. As a result, I got very busy doing simple things today.

We went to church this morning. The Little People were chuffed to bits when they found out that it was 'doughnut day' (the Parish Centre provides doughnuts after Mass every so often, and today was the day!).

Then we had to rush back because a lovely man was coming to give us a quote for redecorating the hall (Big man wants to do it, but I can't face the very extended period of mess and grumpy husband!).

I went into the garden and got busy planting seeds - cosmos, foxgloves, parsley, borage and I'll be doing the mint tomorrow evening. I think I may have overdone it - I'm not sure where I'm going to put all these plants, but I'll cross that bridge when I come to it!

By this point Little People were getting antsy, so after lunch we wandered down to the park. The sun was out and there wasn't a cloud in the sky, it was absolutely glorious. We stopped at the ice cream van (I'm not sure if ice cream is sold out of a van anywhere else, is it just an English thing?), went down to the river to watch the boats. It was The Head of the River race today (I didn't know, so it was a great surprise), there were eights, fours and single and double sculls all pootling up and down. The Little People spent some time in the playground, and I read the Weekend book, pushing swings as required. Finally I got bored, so we walked up the river to the weir, watched a couple of boats go up and down in the lock and wandered back home for tea.

I left the Little People in front of the TV (I know, bad mother, bad mother!) and mowed the lawns. Needless to say, I'm absolutely exhausted and I'm not sure I'm following the spirit of Elspeth Thompson's book, but I had a lovely time. If you have chance to look at the book, see what you think.

Very sadly Elspeth died last month. Having read her Weekend book and paid a few visits to her blog, I feel the world is a duller place without her. My thoughts are with her family.

On a different note, Big man is still in Houston on business and I'm starting to wonder if he'll make it back next Saturday if the volcano keeps going as it is... The novelty of being a single parent has warn off and I just want him home now!

1 comment:

  1. I just bought this book yesterday from town, and am really enjoying it. :) xxx

    ReplyDelete